Monday, October 31, 2011

The Frost is on the Pumpkin

Over a decade ago, when I worked at Wal-Mart one of my co-workers remarked that almost every holiday has a chocolate connection. Let's review:  Valentine's Day, boxes of chocolates; Easter: hollow chocolate bunnies with eating- the-ears- first protocol: Memorial Day and Fourth of July: have you ever been to a potluck with no chocolate cake or chocolate chip cookies or brownies?; Halloween candy: isn't the "good candy" the real chocolate candy bars?; Thanksgiving, well not everybody likes pumpkin pie...; Christmas brings us to red and green M&Ms.  Well, you get the idea!

How many years ago was the Mounds and Almond Joy candy bar slogan, "Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut; Sometimes You Don't"?  I can still hum it...

Don't get me wrong. This is not a rant on why chocolate is evil.  I love chocolate and I still eat it while losing weight.  I just eat less of it than I used to.  Sometimes it is one of those "trigger" foods that makes me hungrier after I eat it, but at least now I notice.

But on Halloween day when little children may knock on my door and ask for the "good candy" I just needed to share why there will not be any bags of "fun-size" candy bars in my house.  Because I would eat more of them than the trick or treaters.  And I am trying to change that...

No comments:

Post a Comment