Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Fat (or Food) in my Head

I have come to the conclusion that most of my issues with food are not about the food in my house.  It is about the food in my head.


When I was carefully tracking what I ate, I noticed that I was consuming more calories in snacks than my actual meals.  And that I ate more in the later part of the day, which I considered to be my time to relax, than in the hours before dinner.  I have known for a long time that I am an emotional eater.  It is my fallback for celebrations, comfort and often, boredom.


Coincidentally, I eat more when my husband is home:  weekends and evenings.  Not that I am blaming him. I am just thinking, here.  I know part of it is that growing up, eating felt like a competition.  Sometimes, even a race!  My Mom would sigh, put her fork down and tell my Dad, "Slow down!  You're making me tired, just watching you eat so fast!"  He learned to eat fast in the Army.  They did not have leisurely meals.  You ate as fast as you could, then on to the next thing.


Well, slowing down while eating.  Another thing to do intentionally, instead of the way I've always done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment