Friday, September 9, 2011

"Enabling" clothes

My project for today was to eliminate my "enabling" clothes from my closet.  You know the ones I mean.  Too big, too stretchy, too accommodating of eating between meals and after dinner.  


Ironically, the most comfortable clothes to wear while you gain weight are the ones that were designed to be comfortable while you exercise:  sweat pants and sweatshirts, and stretchy "yoga" wear.  But there were other culprits, too.  All those elastic waist knit pants that paired with baggy or long T-shirts.  As a short person, there were days I could not afford a pair of zip-up jeans and when I still worked at Wal-Mart those were not allowed by the "dress code for associates".


As someone who is a bit sewing-challenged and tired of hemming everything (even the petite pants) I jumped on the capri and crop pants bandwagon with both feet.  Finally, I could get some pajamas that did not have to be hemmed.  Oh happy day!


Of course, all those 3/4 length sleeve and capri-length pants were not particularly flattering, but they sure cut down on the amount of altering I had to do.  And I could always say I was dressing for comfort, not style, anyway.


As I watched a few makeover cable shows I noticed a common denominator of people whose style was in a rut.  They had children or friends or family who knew they could look better than they did, but their personal style mantra was:  But, it is comfortable.  Occasionally their excuse was:  But, I like it.


It is kind of like tuning yourself out when you look in the mirror each morning.  I only had to look at myself a few seconds or minutes while brushing my teeth and making sure my outfit matched before heading out the door.  But, other people has to look at me all day.  Really, I should have been more considerate.


I will never be a mini-skirt and stiletto heels kind of girl, but having a fitted pant or princess-seamed, non-knit shirt in my closet wouldn't actually kill me, would it?  Yes, I know the uniform of my generation is jeans and a T-shirt, but it is time to swim upstream.  Away from the conformity of fashion and toward the personal style of getting dressed "on purpose".

1 comment: